Monday, April 5, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane

It was 5.30 pm and I bid goodbye to my relatives in Chennai and headed to the airport. My internship begins in 2 days from now at Hyundai Heavy Industries, S. Korea - the largest Shipbuilding & Offshore Construction facility in the world. And my excitement at the prospect of being "there" knew no bounds. My mind was running ahead of time but the Chennai traffic slowed me down.

"Ini etra samayam (how much more time)?", I asked the auto driver. He shrugged and gave no response. After thinking for some time, perhaps, whether to answer my question or not, he cleared his throat and announced, "Minimum 2 hours sir... traffic jam." I nodded in acknowledgement. I would really have been happy if he criss crossed Madras in 2 hours in rush hour. Bumper to bumper traffic is so much an understatement - the highway looked like a parking lot!

"Chennai first time? You a Bengali? Flight at 9? Tickets all ready?" the driver was shooting questions at me left, right and centre. Reminds me of DARCP (Desperate Arbit Random Class Participation) at Hel(L). Or is he trying to do a Sherlock Holmes on me? I let him pass his better judgement on me and conceded in reverse order, " Tickets ready, Flight at 9, Bengali but have come to Chennai before." His face lighted up on confirmation of his prediction. So much to make people happy and now that I've got the guy smiling I asked him in the little Tamil that I could manage, "Sheeghram Pokuma? (Can you go faster please?)" He nodded and pulled up the accelerator. This has been the seventh time I have been "Bong"ed in the last two years, starting with Mr. Paleti, the football captain at Hel(L), and I have been wondering about it ever since! Baffled and slightly amused at my bong connection! Fish? Football? Communism? Only God knows!

My cell-phone beeped the 4th time since I left to the airport. Incoming SMS from good ol' friend Raman - "Change of rendezvous - Come to Hotel Sangeeta at Guindy." Had met him only once after college and we had 4 years of catching up to do. I SMSed back, "Just around the Corner, almost there." Fifteen minutes later, another incoming SMS from Raman- "Which Corner? The diagonally opposite one?". I could only laugh. Reached the place in another 5 minutes and there he was waiting. Got some grub and chatted over the usual arbit stuff but more importantly capitalized on pulling his leg on relinquishing bachelorhood. Bid him goodbye and like always agreed to 'catch up better' next time.

Checked in very early at 9 pm. The boarding time for my flight to Kualalumpur was quarter past eleven. So made a few calls and ere... waited. MH181 took off just in time, rolling towards the starboard, flaunting a breath-taking aerial view of Chennai lit up by the city lights. And I sat there in my window seat reading 'Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde', sipping some red wine and occasionally gazing at the beautiful night sky.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah felt nice reading this.Actually the persons who have stayed back at hell can understand the priceless moments out there..there are somethings which money cant buy, for everything else join IIM.:-)

Unknown said...

A good post. But I think you left one fun element out of it - that adament number lock of yours! :D

Bharat said...

Hey Joshin,nice post. You in Ulsan?

Joshin John said...

@Sanjay: I heard "Umang" is being utilized to its full potential... bet you would be the SQUASH Champ by june! Dude we'll have blast then... me looking for something exotic to bring back to hell :P

@Raman: Can you ever keep a secret? My number lock... poor thing! :(

@Bharat: Yes! Very much in Ulsan. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Hi...Joshin, Gr8....its feel so proud to say you that I have been there for 2 months last year and may go there this year also next month...Its fantastic that even a small portion (Incheon)have made a gr8 influence on u....

Hope at least u may have heard about GS engineering & construction, ourown company...situated about 14 km distance from Incheon.....

Hope u may visit there again......

Joshin John said...

@ Abijith: Loved it ... food, place and people. Going around some places... Will meet Harish next time i go to seoul.

Unknown said...

Nice post dude!
never knew u write so well!
Njoyd reading it n i hope to read lots in future 2 :) kip it up!